Date of Validity
Makerere University College of Health Sciences, School of Public Health in collaboration with John Hopkins University, School of Public Health is implementing a study; “Advancing the health of rural communities in Uganda through strong community health programs” funded under Alliance for a Healthier World (AHW incentive study). The general objective of the study is to evaluate non-monetary incentive packages required for strengthening the community health workforce, which provides critical health services to the rural poor in Masindi district. The study seeks to recruit highly experienced and competent Research Assistants (RAs) to support the implementation of its activities. The RAs will work under the overall supervision of the Study Coordinator.
Job Title: Research Assistants (A total of 10; 4- qualitative and 6-quantitative)
1) Conduct qualitative and quantitative interviews with respondents.
2) Explaining the need for the study to the respondents and obtain their consent to take part in it; then administer questions/ interviews in-person.
3) Record accurate and thorough answers using appropriate electronic devices.
4) Ensure confidentiality of all collected data.
5) Exercised courtesy and professionalism to all respondents.
6) Keep good records of the interviews and surveys conducted.
7) Review collected data obtained from interviews/ surveys for completeness and accuracy, before submission.
8) Meet regularly with the Supervisor to turn in the survey results/ interview data on an ongoing basis.
10) Notify management in case an electronic device or other study equipment is missing or is not in good working order or in case of any administrative issues.
11) Perform any other study-related activities as directed by the supervisor
Qualifications and experience
1. MUST have at least one of the following languages as his/her first language; Runyoro, Lugbara, Swahili, Luo and English
2. Excellent writing and listening skills to optimize data recording
3. Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Able to administer consent to the study participants.
5. Intrinsically motivated to demonstrate patience.
6. Ability to work for long hours in the field and away from home.
7. Ability to work under minimal supervision and stringent deadlines.
8. Be undeterred by negative feedback from respondents, treating people with respect and dignity.
9. Completed a Bachelors’ degree from a recognized university.
10. Must have at least a CGPA of 3.60 at undergraduate level.
11. At least THREE years’ experience in collecting quantitative and/ or qualitative data.
12. Ability to work independently, strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills
13. Must have experienced in collecting data electronically, using software such as ODK or CSPro Entry
14. Good computer skills in WORD and EXCEL
15. Ability to work in a multidisciplinary group.
16. Ability to work in a rural setting.
17. Integrity/Respect for colleagues.
Terms of Service: 2 weeks.
The successful candidate will be working from any of the districts of; Wakiso or Masindi
How to apply:
Interested persons should electronically send in their applications with current CV scanned copies of their academic documents stating two referees and their own active phone contacts to the link below:
The application should be addressed to;
The Dean Makerere University School of Public Health, Mulago Hospital Complex, P.O.BOX
The deadline for receipt of applications is April 25th, 2021.
NB: Only candidates shortlisted will be contacted for interviews