Makerere University School of Public Health (MakSPH) offers a Masters degree in Public Health by Distance Education (MPH-DE). The program is designed for individuals who desire graduate public health training while they continue to work. The program is modeled on the same objectives of the MPH Fulltime Program and covers exactly the same academic content.
The Program Goal
The goal of the program is to produce practically oriented public health professionals who possess the knowledge, skills and professional attitudes required to assume leadership roles within the public health systems and to meet the current and future challenges of public health.
The specific objectives of the MPH Distance Education Program are to:
- Enable suitable candidates to undertake graduate Public Health training while they continue to work at their various locations for most of the course duration.
- Strengthen the capacity for implementing health services at the district level, including priority setting and resource allocation.
- Prepare public health practitioners to work within an integrated multi-disciplinary, multisectoral health system.
- Promote linkages between institutions providing public health training locally, regionally and worldwide.
- Strengthen the collection and utilization of information to improve the quality of health services.
- Strengthen the capacity to carry out essential national research.
Who can apply?
The program is open to both Ugandans and non-Ugandans, whether living within Uganda or outside the borders of Uganda, who should preferably be employees in a health service institution (such as a District Health Service or a health sector NGO), and fulfill the minimum admission requirements.
- A degree in health sciences e.g. medicine, nursing, pharmacy or dentistry, with at least two years’ of relevant field experience, OR
- A degree in biological sciences e.g. biology, environmental sciences and laboratory sciences with at least two years’ of relevant field experience, OR
- A degree in any other humanity e.g. statistics, social science, etc; currently working in a health service institution or health sector NGO with at least two years’ working experience in a health service institution or health sector NGO. Candidates also ought to have access to reliable Internet services, as most of the communication with the MPH (DE) students is via the Internet. Candidates currently working in a health sector institution have added advantage for admission in the MPH (DE) Program. It is very useful for MPH (DE) trainees to receive support (in terms of allowing reasonable time to study, and other forms of support), from their employers throughout their training. Therefore intending candidates are advised to discuss their intentions to enroll in the MPH (DE) with their employers to ensure this kind of support.
Tuition fees are: Ug. Shs.5,395,000m/= per annum for Ugandans, or 13,612,500 per annum for foreign students. Makerere University reserves the right to revise tuition fee rates whenever found necessary.
In addition to the tuition fees, students must also meet all other expenses related to: registration fees to the university, examination fees, library and administration, travel and accommodation while in Kampala, a personal computer, stationery, books, field studies, and research costs for the dissertation. It is estimated that over the 3 years’ training program, these additional costs may total up to Ug. Shs. 8 - 10m/=; or US $5000 – 7000, depending on the location of the student. It is the responsibility of each intending applicant to identify funds for all these expenses.
How to apply:
Application forms and guidelines can be obtained from the Makerere University School of Graduate Studies, or downloaded from their website; https://rgt.mak.ac.ug/
For more detailed information about our MPH (DE) Program, please contact the MPH (DE) Program Administrator, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics,
School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda.
Tel. 256-414- 543-872
Huzaifah Mutyaba: +256 700 313834