Date of Validity
Vacancy Title: Research Fellow: Health Economics and Policy Programme (HEPP)
Application Deadline: Nov 10th 2020
Date Posted: November 4th 2020.
Duty Station: Makerere University School of Public Health, Kasangati Office.
Base Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Supervisor: Principal Investigator, MakSPH.
Job Purpose: MakSPH in partnership with Uganda Ministry of Health and Thanzi la Onse (Health of All) Programme led by the University of York in the UK are engaged in a programme of multi-disciplinary research – the intersection of health, economics and politics to inform decisions in low-income settings on health care resource allocation. The programme aim to support the policy decisions through research and training in Uganda, Malawi and the broader East Central and Southern African (ECSA) region. The programme aim is to adapt the resource allocation research methods, tools and strategies, promote greater population benefits and universal health coverage. In Uganda the health economics and policy programme (HEPP) unit will be establish at MakSPH to implement partnership activities. The programme will be co-led by MakSPH and MOH principal investigators (PIs).
Job Description: The roles and responsibilities of the RF-HEPP are the following:
- Work closely with Partnership leaders (PIs) at MakSPH and MOH to coordinate the activities in the Uganda programme for TLO.
- Engage with the PIs, Department of Policy and Partnerships at MOH and Department of Health Policy Planning and Management (HPPM) at MakSPH to implemented identified programmes activities for HEPP.
- Work with PIs to prepare for and oversee the implementation of research activities such as protocols, securing authorization and collecting needed data and preparing progress reports;
- Organize short-courses/trainings include communications to beneficiaries and facilitators.
- Participate in teams to prepare approved scientific products including grant applications, manuscripts, policy briefs and presentation material as appropriate.
- Participate in teams at MakSPH to prepare teaching materials in health economics and such other teaching obligations was will be assigned by the supervisor.
- Support TLO partners on collaborative research activities such as economic modelling for health benefit package, strategic purchasing for services, health expenditures studies, etc.;
- Attend MakSPH, MOH and TLO engagements as appropriate to enable coordination of work and mutual adjustments to achieve timely outputs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor
- A Master’s Degree in Health Economics, MPH with a track in Health Economics or equivalent.
- At least 3 years’ experience in health systems setting at national, district or NGO level;
- Previous experience in leading or coordinating health related research is added advantage;
- Familiarity with use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Stata/SPSS
- Knowledge of Health Management Information System (HMIS/DHISII)
Work Hours: Full time.
Contract Offer: One year. Renewable upon good performance and availability of funds.
How to apply: Qualified and interested persons should apply via the link below: