Date of Validity
The Makerere University School of Public Health Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Support (MakSPH-METS) Program is a five-year (2020-2025) CDC-funded Cooperative Agreement. The MakSPH-METS program emerged out of the growing recognition of the importance of evidence-based decision making for an AIDS Free Generation in Uganda. The overall purpose of the Program is to establish coordinated and effective national and district systems for the management of strategic information for a robust HIV response. We seek to recruit a dynamic, competent and experienced candidate to fill the following position:
JOB TITLE: Health Information Systems (HIS) Analyst (1)
Reports to: Senior Technical Officer – Data Science and Informatics
The Health Information Systems (HIS) Analyst will use computers and related systems to design new IT solutions, modify, enhance or adapt existing systems and integrate new features or improvements to improve business efficiency and productivity of the health systems. The HIS Analyst must possess a high level of technical expertise and clear insights into current existing health information systems and processes of Uganda. Specifically, the HIS Analyst will examine existing health information systems and process models, analyse systems requirements, and undertake product development by designing, building, testing and supporting implementation of electronic systems/databases to support the M&E function of the National Health System including MoH, districts, health facilities and communities. The HIS Analyst shall also implement, configure and test feasible solutions in collaboration with systems developers. He/she shall build capacities of the program staff at different levels by providing technical support in data management, electronic reporting through training, mentoring and coaching.
As a METS HMIS staff, the HIS Analyst will work closely with all other METS team members in a coordinated, collaborative and cooperative manner to ensure realization of a functional National M&E system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with the Systems Developers (Programmers) to support the development, modification, testing and operationalization of new and existing database systems including but not limited to DHIS2, OpenMRS and the B+ weekly database and others at METS, national, district, health facility, and IP levels.
- Analyse and develop automated reports based on the data in any of METS supported database systems.
- Facilitate staff development (through training, mentoring and coaching) of district and program personnel in database management, data management and report generation and dissemination to enhance data use for decision making.
- Actively participate in IT related support requirements during the lifetime of the program.
- Assess and document existing data management capacity and needs at national, district and health facility levels.
- Work with MoH, districts, Implementing Partners, and CDC to conduct database management capacity building activities for continuous quality improvement including conducting data quality assessments.
- Participate in the preparation of work plans, quarterly and annual reports on the activities of the Program.
- Support the rollout of digital health information systems at high volume facilities through training, mentorship and coaching of the site staff.
- Plan, build and support analytic systems for processing of both Public Health and individual patient data.
- Advise, advocate and mentor in the development of national health data management guidelines
- Undertake such other tasks within the scope of the role as directed by management from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Health Informatics
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience developing a variety of software systems while taking on increasing responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and development tasks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic experience developing data-driven applications utilizing relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with either PostgreSQL or MySQL is required
and any of the following is highly desirable; Oracle, MS SQL Server, H2 SQL)
- Experience with health information systems (such as an EMR or DHIS2) and the national HMIS framework is highly desirable
i) Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit the following application documents
and a motivation letter clearly highlighting the position being applied for and address this to;
Makerere University School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7072,
ii) Application Documents
a) Motivational Letter
b) Resume with contacts of 3 professional referees c) Copies of all relevant academic documents
iii) Soft copies of the applications should be submitted as one PDF file to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on October 15th, 2021. Please quote the position you are applying for in the subject head of your email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
MakSPH-METS is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.