Date of Validity
The Makerere University School of Public Health Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Support (MakSPH-METS) Program is a five-year (2020-2025) CDC-funded Cooperative Agreement. The MakSPH-METS program emerged out of the growing recognition of the importance of evidence-based decision making for an AIDS Free Generation in Uganda. The overall purpose of the Program is to establish coordinated and effective national and district systems for the management of strategic information for a robust HIV response. We seek to recruit a dynamic, competent and experienced candidate to fill the following position:
JOB TITLE: Software Developer (2) Positions
Reports to: Team Lead, Systems Development
The Software Developer/Programmer shall be responsible for designing, developing, implementing, maintaining, auditing and improving new and existing health information systems and software. He/she shall be responsible to customize national health information systems including DHIS2, OpenMRS, and integrate fingerprinting technology for patients tracking, monitoring and referral across service sites. To ensure that systems like; electronic medical records, aggregate and patient’s tracker are communicating. The incumbent shall develop an interoperability framework for OpenMRS and DHIS2 in collaboration with the HIS Analysts. The Developer shall also ensure that the different software developed conforms to the software development standards by conducting rigorous diagnosis, tests, code debugging, and documenting reference manuals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the HIS analysts to design software solutions by studying information needs; systems flow, data usage, and work processes while adhering to the software development lifecycle
- Design, develop, modify and maintain new or existing health information systems (OpenMRS, DHIS2, fingerprinting technologies, etc.).
- Support the development of an interoperability framework between DHIS2 and OpenMRS to support automated synching of records to a central DHIS2.
- Investigate, analyze and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades and modifications.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming and documentation.
- Prepare reference for users by writing operating instructions, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Undertake such other tasks within the scope of the role as directed by management from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Health Informatics
- A minimum of 1 year of experience as a software developer or engineer; with demonstrable success in developing a variety of software systems while taking on increasing responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and development tasks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advance experience developing data-driven applications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with either PostgreSQL or MySQL is required and any of the following is highly desirable; Oracle, MS SQL Server, H2 SQL)
- Working experience using most of the following: Spring, Hibernate, JQuery, Subversion, Liquibase, Git, Restful web services, Agile methodology, Maven, Jasper server, android SDK.
- Knowledge and skill with popular open-source programming languages
i) Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit the following application documents
and a motivation letter clearly highlighting the position being applied for and address this to; The Dean,
Makerere University School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7072,
ii) Application Documents
a) Motivational Letter
b) Resume with contacts of 3 professional referees c) Copies of all relevant academic documents
iii) Soft copies of the applications should be submitted as one PDF file to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on October 15th, 2021. Please quote the position you are applying for in the subject head of your email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
MakSPH-METS is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.