Date of Validity
The Makerere University School of Public Health Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Support (MakSPH-METS) Program is a five-year (2020-2025) CDC-funded Cooperative Agreement. The MakSPH-METS program emerged out of the growing recognition of the importance of evidence-based decision making for an AIDS Free Generation in Uganda. The overall purpose of the Program is to establish coordinated and effective national and district systems for the management of strategic information for a robust HIV response. We seek to recruit a dynamic, competent and experienced candidate to fill the following position:
JOB TITLE: SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER – DATA SCIENCE AND INFORMATICS
Reports to : Manager Programs
Responsible for the supervision of : Team Lead, Systems Development
The Senior Technical Officer – Data Science and Informatics (DSI) provides technical assistance for CDC data science and informatics activities funded through PEPFAR, CARES, GHS and other US government (USG) initiatives collaborating across USG agencies and implementing partners (IPs). The position works in direct partnership with CDC and the Government of Uganda (GoU), especially the Ministry of Health to ensure all activities support and align with national strategies and guidelines. Specifically, the Senior Technical Officer - DSI supports national and USG surveillance, data capture, analytics and reporting activities at all levels of the health system in coordinating data gathering, analysis and dissemination activities, examine existing health information systems and process models, analyze systems requirements, and undertake product development by designing, building, testing, and providing feedback into the implementation of electronic systems/databases to support the data science and M&E function of the national health system including MoH, districts, health facilities and communities. He/she is responsible for building capacities of the district and IP staff at different levels by providing technical support in data management through training, mentoring and coaching. As a METS staff, the Senior Technical Officer - DSI works closely with all other METS team members in a coordinated, collaborative and cooperative manner to ensure realization of a functional National Health Information Systems, Data Science and M&E system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support coordination of PEPFAR and national reporting activities including data gathering, analysis and dissemination of reports to all stakeholders.
- Lead the capacity building initiatives in MER indicators, M&E for DHTs and IPs in order for them to effectively plan, manage and report timely, consistent, complete and valid data for HIV programs
- Provide technical support to District Health Teams and Records staff to produce timely and accurate reports as well as implement CQI projects in their respective districts.
- Provide technical support to District Health Teams, IP staff and site level staff to implement recency testing and case-based surveillance.
- Coordinate capacity building for districts, IPs and MOH to analyze and use the data obtained from case-based surveillance and recency testing activities.
- Liaise with the Systems Developers (Programmers) to support the development, modification, testing and operationalization of new and existing database systems including but not limited to DHIS2 and UgandaEMR at national, district, health facility, and IP levels.
- Support (other IPs, district teams, and USG technical staff) in study designs, data analytics (statistical, modelling and GIS) and writing (Manuscripts/abstracts)
- Mentor (other IPs, district teams) in data collection, data management and data cleaning
- Liaise with stakeholders at all levels (CDC, UCSF, HISP, MoH, Regional IPs and District Health Officers) to facilitate implementation of surveillance activities.
- Lead the regular engagement with stakeholders regarding the required elements for Ugandan cased-based HIV/AIDS reporting, and develop the technology to implement it.
- Participate in the preparation of work plans, quarterly and annual reports on the activities of the Project.
- Supervise and appraise staff in accordance with the Makerere University policies and strategic plan.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s degree in Health Systems or Informatics related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in either Statistics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, ICT or Medical Statistics.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in data science and informatics.
Required Knowledge, Skills and abilities:
- Demonstrable experience in analytics and data science.
i) Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit the following application documents
and a motivation letter clearly highlighting the position being applied for and address this to;
Makerere University School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7072,
ii) Application Documents
a) Motivational Letter
b) Resume with contacts of 3 professional referees c) Copies of all relevant academic documents
iii) Soft copies of the applications should be submitted as one PDF file to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on October 15th, 2021. Please quote the position you are applying for in the subject head of your email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.