Date of Validity
Institution: Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa (CTCA)
Project Title: Enhancing Tobacco Control Sustainability in Africa
Expression of Interest Number: CTCA/EOI/ 2019-008
The Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa (CTCA) was established in July 2011 by the World Health Organization, with funding from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to build and sustain Institutional Capacity of African governments in tobacco control. CTCA has received phase III funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through the Africa Capacity Building Foundation to implement a three-year project to enhance tobacco control sustainability in Africa. The objectives of the project are to;
- Improve sustainability of tobacco control in target countries
- Enhance tobacco control actors’ knowledge and skills in policy, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Foster TC research and alternative livelihood interventions and
- Strengthen CTCA institutional and human capacity to effectively deliver on its mandate
Assignment objective and scope
The objective of the assignment is to disseminate CTCA work and increase the center’s visibility. CTCA therefore wishes to recruit a part time, on prorata basis, Communications Officer who will be responsible for designing and implementing communication strategy of CTCA.
The specific duties include;
- Review and update the CTCA communication and branding strategy
- Develop communication/branding materials such as brochures, banners, policy briefs, newsletter articles, press releases etc
- Review, and together with the IT Officer redesign, and provide updates for the CTCA website
- Develop and maintain contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets (print, TV, radio, web etc.) within and outside Africa
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials.
- Update CTCA online platforms (twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn) on a regular basis through regular monitoring, positing and content development
- Provide technical support to ensure that a set of communication performance indicators is identified and adjusted as necessary, and these communication indicators are incorporated in the work plan
- Convert CTCA photos and monographs into motion formats for display and running on TV screens at reception
- Design and popularize the Africa Conference and Tobacco and Development.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations
- Minimum of five years’ work experience in communication, public relations and advocacy
- Excellent command in English; French will be an added advantage
- Skills and abilities:
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent Oral and written communications
• Excellent computer skills
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Proficiency in MS Office and website content presentations
• Working independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
Expected Key Deliverables
The Officer will be expected to deliver on the following;
- Produce branded/communication materials
- Re designed and updated website
- Updated communication and branding strategy
- Post and maintain CTCA website alive
- Motion library
The Communications Expert will be remunerated at a negotiated rate per day less any statutory deductibles as required by the Ugandan law. The number of days will be in alignment with 23% level of effort.
How to apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates may send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org Submission letters marked as “Communications expert; CTCA/EOI/2019-008/” not later than 17:00 hours on the 15th November 2019.