The Master of Biostatistics programme has been developed with key objectives of contributing towards the creation of a critical mass of professional Biostatisticians, expanding the capacity for teaching Biostatistics in the tertiary academic institutions and strengthening the capacity for Biostatistics analysis in research and academic institutions, industry and programs in the country and the region.
To train practically oriented graduates who are responsive to the changing needs of the Biostatistics profession.
To train and produce a graduate possessing practical skills with the ability to meet local and regional biostatistics demands.
- To contribute towards the creation of a critical mass of professional Biostatisticians in order to meet the increasing demand.
- To expand the capacity for teaching Biostatistics in the tertiary academic institutions in the country and the region.
- To strengthen capacity for Biostatistics analysis in research and academic institutions, industry and programmes in both government and non-government institutions
Following completion of the programme, the graduate should be able to:
- Follow the professional and ethical standards of conduct of the field of Biostatistics.
- Inovatively explore and apply advanced skills to collect, manage and analyses data that can aid decision making by;
- Developing data collection tools, designing; databases, data entry screens, data cleaning programmes and merging data sets.
- Identifying the appropriate data analysis techniques.
- Designing a robust data analysis plan.
- Application of at least 2 robust statistical packages to analyse data.
- Preparing and submitting scientific manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals plus the development of policy briefs.
Who can Apply?
The Master's programme is open to all individuals, Ugandan and Non-Ugandan with background training in a quantitative discipline or background training in the health-related discipline.
Only graduates from Universities recognized by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) will be considered for admission to the Programme.
All applicants must satisfy Makerere University admission requirements for graduate programmes.
- A bachelor’s degree in medical related disciplines but will get partial admission pending passing a foundation course at the beginning of the semester. The medical degrees considered here are Bachelor of medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, and Laboratory technology and environmental health sciences.
- A bachelor of Statistics.
- A bachelor of Science with a bias in Statistics or Mathematics
Duration of M.Biostatistics programme
The programme duration is two (2) years; Full Time.
M.Biostatistics Programme Administrator OR
M.Biostatistics Academic Coordinator,
Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics,
Makerere University School of Public Health,
P.O. Box 7072,