Date of Validity
The Makerere University School of Public Health Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Support (MakSPH-METS) Program is a five-year (2020-2025) CDC-funded Cooperative Agreement. The MakSPH-METS program emerged out of the growing recognition of the importance of evidence-based decision making for an AIDS Free Generation in Uganda. The overall purpose of the Program is to establish coordinated and effective national and district systems for the management of strategic information for a robust HIV response. We seek to recruit a dynamic, competent and experienced candidate to fill the following position:
- JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR
Reports to : Principal Investigator (PI)
Responsible for the supervision of: Manager Programs
Manager Finance and Administration
Communications and Public Relations Officer
Human Resource Officer
The Director is responsible for the overall planning and management of program activities as well as ensuring up to-date policies and procedures to enhance performance. S/he will provide strategic leadership and guidance for the MakSPH-METS program team to ensure that planned project interventions and activities are implemented, monitored and evaluated. S/he will ensure appropriate managerial decisions are made and ensure accountability for results at all levels of program management. S/he will ensure that effective communication and relationships between program team members and stakeholders are harnessed and maintained. S/he will act as a go–to person in the program in order to identify procedures to enhance, new initiatives to undertake, and programs to support, with approval from the Steering Committee. The Director, in consultation with the Principal Investigator will accomplish human resource objectives by recruiting and reviewing job contributions as well as enforcing policies and procedures. The Director will also maintain regular communication with Collaborators and key partners including UCSF, HISP and the CDC in-country leadership and be responsible for fundraising, program growth and sustainability.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Continuously scan the environment and engage with relevant partners including Ministry of Health, Makerere University, CDC, and other stakeholders to identify opportunities for program advancement (including development of new programs) to contribute to the improvement of public health programs in Uganda.
- Develop, review and ensure implementation of policies, guidelines and procedures that promote the realization of MakSPH-METS’ Mission, Vision and Strategy.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction in the development of the strategic and operational plans, and support program staff to strengthen project implementation, reporting and accountability in accordance with METS and donor policies.
- Plan for and manage staff including ensuring an appropriate organizational structure, salary structure, motivation, skilling and deployment of staff for optimal performance.
- Coordinate the fiscal activities of the project including resource mobilization, budgeting, budget implementation and tracking, reporting and audit.
- Promote and enhance collaboration linkages between the program and different stakeholders for the effective implementation of policies and achievement of national objectives.
- Produce and submit reports and accountabilities related to the implementation of the program in a timely manner.
- Ensure appropriate support to the Steering Committee including scheduling of meetings, timely submission of quality reports and other documents to members and tracking of actions from the committee.
- Promote and enhance collaboration linkages between the program and the donors for effective implementation of donor policies for the achievement of program objectives.
- Supervise and appraise the Manager Programs and Manager Finance and Administration, Communications and Public Relations Officer and Human Resource Officer in accordance with donor conditions, program polices and regulations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A master’s degree in a health-related field, Public Health or any other related field from a recognized university.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a senior management position preferably with previous experience as a Chief Executive in a large organization with a proven track record of achievement.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and competence in financial strategic oversight of a multi-million-dollar budget
- Governance experience including working with a Board
- Experience of working in partnership with government agencies and multi-donor environment
- Research experience
- Knowledge of project planning and management
i) Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit the following application documents
and a motivation letter clearly highlighting the position being applied for and address this to; The Dean,
Makerere University School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7072,
ii) Application Documents
a) Motivational Letter
b) Resume with contacts of 3 professional referees c) Copies of all relevant academic documents
iii) Soft copies of the applications should be submitted as one PDF file to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on October 15th, 2021. Please quote the position you are applying for in the subject head of your email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
MakSPH-METS is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.